Jessica
Since we first saw the baby boy sonograms, Matt and I both had a picture in our heads of the kind of men we want our sons to become. Until this week I've not been able to verbalize this notion. Then I heard this Scripture:

"Be on your guard; Stand firm in the faith; Be men of courage; Be strong. Do everything in love."
1 Corinthians 16:13-14

This passage is found at the end of Paul's first letter to the Corinthians and he is giving them several brief instructions and requests. The Scripture doesn't give any conditions, situations, descriptions, or explanations regarding these 5 instructions. It simply is what it is.

I did a little research online and found this commentary on a blog called "Mentoring Our Boys."

Be on your guard: A call to fight against temptations from Satan, from the world, and from our selves. It also helps guide us toward self-control. Finally, we are called to be alert, always prepared for Jesus’ return.

Stand firm in the faith: The center of what gives meaning and purpose to our lives through Jesus Christ. Ultimately, it is our faith in Christ as our Lord that assures our salvation and it is our identity in Christ that directs our heart, mind and soul to the nature and character of God.

Be men of courage: This proclamation implores us to pursue our divine roles as men. Biblically, we are to be disciples, servants, husbands, fathers and finally, patriarchs. Not all men will be called to fulfill every one of these roles. Some of these roles will be carried out during different seasons of life. To fulfill these roles, we are called to spiritual leadership and servant leadership. We are to be the provider and protector. In this directive from Paul, the original text refers to a masculine courage.

Be strong: Strong in faith, strong in character, strong in perseverance, strong in body. This statement dovetails with our roles as leader, provider and protector.

Do: Implies being proactive, not passive or reactive. “Released from the law…we serve in newness of the Spirit,” proving ourselves “doers of the word.” As the Lord’s Prayer says: “Thy will be done.”

Everything in love: Sums up the law (Galatians 5:14) and implies a selfless, servant attitude.


What an awesome role God has given me as Mother to sons! May He strengthen me to trust and follow Him in every moment I'm given with these young men. And I'm charging you, as family and friends, to join me in raising young men of courage.
5 Responses
  1. JTapp Says:

    Have you read Shepherding a Child's Heart yet?


  2. Jessica Says:

    No, I only get to read books that rhyme and have colorful pictures. Maybe when the kids are grown I'll get around to reading some good parenting books . . . what, you don't think that'll help?


  3. Joni Says:

    Wow, sister. Thanks for posting this! What a perfect verse to sum up our goal as mothers of boys. I'll help you if you'll help me!! Love you!


  4. Matt McKee Says:

    I don't think that I could say this post any better. Thank you for being such a great Mom and a wonderful wife. I look forward to seeing our boys become Men of Courage.


  5. Jeannie Says:

    I keep coming back and re-reading this. I just love how you worded everything. My husband and I have really been discussing our motto on raising a son, and I think this scripture and your words sum it all up perfectly! Thank you so much for sharing from the heart!