Jessica
My dishwasher has gone bonkers and I have no idea how to fix it. For almost a month, my dishwasher has been leaving this white film on my dishes.


It has gotten progressively worse. Now after I run the dishwasher I have to take everything out and wipe it clean with a wet paper towel and then wipe it with a dry towel. If I let them air dry, the white returns.

I've tried four different detergents but saw no difference. I added some Jet Dry (which I don't normally use) but saw no difference. I've tried cleaning out the dishwasher by running vinegar through a cycle, but saw no difference.

Until we get this fixed, I'm back to hand-washing everything. It's actually more efficient than running it through my dishwasher.

Any ideas? I'll take any advice you've got.
2 Responses
  1. We had problems with a dishwasher one time not cleaning well and the guy came out and his big solution was that the problem was because we were washing our dishes off beforehand. I thought that was the biggest load of kahooey. He said to stick them right in. We had AHS home warranty, and I thought he was just trying to get out of giving us a new dishwasher/fixing this one. So I said, FINE! I'll do it and then call you afterwards when it's still not working. For a couple of days, I didn't touch one thing. We had dried on spaghetti (actual spaghetti) and sauce, chili, pans that had stuck on stuff, everything. I stuck it all in the dishwasher and let it run. My jaw about dropped when they came out spick and span clean and no film! He said that dishwashers are meant to clean and when there is nothing for the soap to work on that it leaves the film... It's worth a try! BTW, that was another house, and we semi-rinse them now. But, for that dishwasher, that was what worked. Weird.

    Here are two other things I found regarding needing a water temp, using too much soap, and liquid soap being better than powder.

    Good luck! :) Update us. Is this sad that I want an update on your dishwasher?

    http://www.hometips.com/home_probsolver/hps03/03_dishwasher/hps_dishwash06.html

    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071224201700AAqMGxt


  2. I like Sarah's idea of not pre-washing, but I have to admit my mom trained us to pre-wash everything so I still do. Never seen a dishwasher do that. I hope it gets fixed soon!